Friday, November 16, 2007
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? Soy milk, usually unsweetened (Trader Joe's or 365 brand). I like the red carton of Silk for drinking, but the unsweetened is better for cooking which is what I usually use it for. And I like it fine for drinking too.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? when? I don't have a timeframe, but cupcakes, potato soup, and a casserole of some sort have been on my mind.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? I don't really like popcorn. I might eat a piece or two if it is plain.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? Potato soup made with sweetened soymilk. Yuck!
5. Favorite pickled item? cucumbers
6. How do you organize your recipes? Some are in cookbooks, some are in a recipe box, some are saved on my computer, they are in various notebooks and stacks of papers. So umm, they aren't organized at all!
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? trash
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? strawberries, potatoes, and spinach
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? my dad teaching me how to make rice with raisins for breakfast in the microwave when I was in 2nd grade, or making cinnamon rolls with him in the evenings (even though I don't like cinnamon)
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? depends on if I'm having it with cake or without
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? my red mixing bowls and heavy duty whisk
12. Spice/herb you would die without? garlic granules/powder
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? The Student's Vegetarian Cookbook and some vegan cookbook whose name I can't remember were given to me for my 18th birthday, right before I moved into dorms with a kitchen, I think they were my first 2 cookbooks.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? crabapple jelly, raspberry jam. Must be homemade
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? I expect them to eat any weird vegan food I serve.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Tofu, then seitan, then tempeh.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? dinner, in the evening
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Peanut butter puffins, frosted shredded wheat cereal, and my roommate's box of some sort of hot cereal.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. TJ's meatless meatballs, chocolate chips, spinach
20. What's on your grocery list? I tend to not bother with lists, but I always buy cat food.
21. Favorite grocery store? I shop almost exclusively at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I don't really have a preference and they do carry a little bit different stuff.
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet. A yummy cake made with a box of cake mix, a can of pie filling, and eggs that I ate for breakfast every day during my last year of high school.
23. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3? I read a lot of them.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Candy Cane Jo-Jo's right now. Usually Boston Cookies. Not a huge candy/chocolate person, I tend to like baked goods better.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Candy Cane Jo-Jo's, 2 boxes which is what made it extravagant
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it). I used the one that was already there.
Are you a Lover or a Hater?
Garlic - LOVE!
Kale - love
Eggplant - hate
Celery - love
Brussels Sprouts - love
Cilantro (Coriander) - tolerate in small amounts
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle. Two scientists, a reporter and a sportsman go off to find the lost world that the one dude had already found, but nobody believed him. It's in South America and there are dinosaurs. The reporter is doing it for a girl...does it win her over?
The Son of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs. 4th in the series, read from Project Gutenburg. What you would expect from Tarzan's son. Back to the jungle with them and of course, a happy ending.
The Sportswriter by Richard Ford. Divorced man who is a sportswriter and has an interesting view on things. Very, very well written. I almost quit reading it a few times cuz I wasn't interested. The end was much better than expected so that redeemed it a bit. I'd be interested to read other stuff by this guy.
Not a lot of reading. I've been busy doing a lot of other stuff and the book I'm currently reading is taking a while.