Monday, March 3, 2008

Dublin Ireland

A couple months late! I'm home today so I finally took the time to go through the rest of my photos.

Batman and I went to Ireland in January.  It was great.  My first time using my passport (I got it a year ago), and his first time to Ireland (he's travelled a lot more than me!).  We stayed in Dublin and were only there for 4 days.  We didn't have time to do everything that I wanted, mostly because nothing opened until 9 and then was closed again by 5!  We saw St. Patrick's Cathedral as well as some other old churches, Dublin Castle, some old bits of walls/arches/doorways from the 1200s, we actually saw most of Dublin I think!  It isn't very large and we did a lot of walking.  We took one day and went to Howth on the DART.  We hiked in the hills by the ocean and got a bit of the feel of being in the Irish countryside.

I was able to take knitting on the flight there but not on the flight coming home.  I didn't knit at all though, I read and slept a lot!  I kept a journal while we were there which is what kept me busy in the hotel when we were taking a break from everything.  It was actually very easy to eat vegan in Dublin.  I found places with soy milk and the skittles there are vegan!  I did have some Guinness...it isn't vegan and I don't drink it at home.  I loooove it so much though and it does taste better in Ireland.  I had to sample all the other beers and the cider.  It is great that you can order a pint or a glass of beer, so often I don't want a whole pint and the option for less isn't available in the US.

Here are a sampling of the pictures that I took.  You can see many more on my flickr!



Ireland - St. Patrick's                       Ireland - Our first pints of Guinness in Ireland at O'Donoghue's
St. Patrick's Cathedral.  Of course Batman and I had to have a Guinness!

The coach house at Dublin Castle.  I think this building was part of the Guinness Brewery



Ireland - Howth, rainbow                     Clouds above the ocean
View over the ocean from the hills by Howth.  The clouds above the ocean on the flight home.

1 comment:

James said...

Hello! My wife called my attention to your thread on the PPK forums about thruhiking the AT as a vegan. I thruhiked in 2004, about six months after becoming vegan; it's an awesome experience. I posted a list of what I took here: http://community.livejournal.com/thetrail/37635.html

Please, please email me at jamesinportland@gmail.com. I'd love to help your journey be successful in any way I can.