Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NYC - food

Batman and I went to New York City last weekend (I had Monday off for the marathon, he had it off for Patriot's Day). I'd only been once before so it was a lot of fun to go back. We took the Greyhound bus there and back. On the way there we had a bus that was falling apart, but had lots of leg room. On the way home the bus was in much nicer condition, but with way less leg room. It doesn't matter so much for me, but Batman is tall!

We were only there for 2 nites, so we didn't actually do a lot. First, the food! Sorry no pictures, we were starving pretty much every time we sat down to eat!

We ate at 'Snice twice, lunch when we got to NYC and lunch before we left. It is soooo good! We had the tempeh rueben and seitan philly-style sandwich the first time, they were okay. I prefered the tempeh and Batman prefered the seitan. The second time I had the vegan panini and Batman had a "meatball" sub. I am in love with the panini...smoked tofu, pesto and sundried tomoatoes...sooooo good. They have a good selection of vegan desserts, but most the ones I tried (apricot bar, cupcake, blondie) were way too sweet. The chocolate cherry cookie and some chocolate chip bundt cake were good and not too sweet.

We had dinner at Blossom on Sunday nite. I don't like seitan or mushrooms so that limited the choices for me! We started with ravioli (it had diced mushrooms in it that I decided I would be okay with, also spinach which I like) in a cashew cream sauce. Yummy! Then I had Feijoadinha...a delicious stew-like tempeh, black bean, sweet potato, and chayote squash dish. Batman had stuffed portobellos (tofu/walnut) with apricot cous cous, asparagus, and a cashew-tahini sauce. Dessert was cheesecake and chocolate ganache w/strawberry ice cream. All very delicious! The service was great and we also had a yummy bottle of organic wine!

We also went to a bagle place and they had tofu cream cheese, so that was nice. And we had lunch at the cafeteria of the Museum of Natural History one day...they had tofu, 3 bean salad, and beet salad that was good! A late nite snack of avacado rolls at Blue Fin with a drink! And a boring yet tasty veggie sandwich at some random deli that came with 2 big pickles and a cel-ray soda which I'd never had! We weren't there too long and that is actually everything that I ate...plus an order of french fries on the way there and home when the bus stopped!

Hmm, I'll do another post later with everything else!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

It sounds like you and Batman ate really well!