Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Columbus Day

I know, I know. That was like weeks ago. So I'm a bit behind.

Batman and I went on a "vacation" for Columbus day since it is a somewhat recognized holiday here. Side note - we didn't celebrate it anywhere that I lived growing up, they get out of school for it here. He had it off, I took it off.

We packed a bag and walked to downtown Boston for our vacation. We got a sweet deal on a room at Nine Zero.

View from our room
Veiw from Nine Zero 15th floor room Veiw from Nine Zero 15th floor room

We had dinner at Mistral. It was very nice (I wore my heels and a cute, clingy green dress!). We each got a salad, mine was lambs leaf lettuce with pecans and something else (Batman's had cheese too). Then for the main course they brought us a veggie plate. Roasted red peppers, green beans, little roasted tomatoes, yellow beets, mini onions, squash, maybe something else. It was all done perfectly and while a bit uninspired, was very tasty. Dessert for me was a dark chocolate sorbet...OMG yum! Batman had some oozing chocolate cake thing. Service was great and it was fun.

We walked back to the hotel through the Public Gardens and the Common. The rats were all out, it was cute. There were a ton of them in the trash cans and when Batman tapped it with his foot they would run out of it one at a time.

The next morning we had a late breakfast (nothing great), and then went to Newbury Street. We window shopped and each bought some jeans, had lunch at Trident and then made our way back to the hotel to pick up our bags. I haven't had a good chunk of time to spend on Newbury St. in a while, so it was lots of fun. Actually just being able to enjoy our time and not worry about doing anything else was great.

This is in the Public Garden...so tropical looking!
Boston Common Boston Common

So overall a very successful local vacation!

5 comments:

wenders said...

I love vacationing in your own city... what a great idea for a long weekend!

Jeanette said...

It sounds like you guys had a wonderful time!

Mara Fitch said...

Its lovely to do something out of the ordinary in the city you live in, it can shine a different light on it, and its sounds romantic.

Anonymous said...

I love your plan for getting away from it all at home. I would stay at the Charles Street Inn, have brunch or dinner at The Hungry I, stroll around and celebrate not having to walk the Freedom Trail! BTW, I'm later in reading this post than you were in writing it. ;) So glad to hear that you had some time to just enjoy yourself.

Anonymous said...

I love your plan for getting away from it all at home. I would stay at the Charles Street Inn, have brunch or dinner at The Hungry I, stroll around and celebrate not having to walk the Freedom Trail! BTW, I'm later in reading this post than you were in writing it. ;) So glad to hear that you had some time to just enjoy yourself.