Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Embroiderying

I got it in my head a monthish ago that I wanted to relearn how to embroider. I did some when I was in elementary school. I remember hand sewing little pillows, doll sized I'd say, and then embroiderying them to give to my grandparents as gifts when I was in 2nd-4th grade. The fabric was checked so I had a line to sew along and it made embroidery easy (I think I only learned one stitch, probably the only one that my mom knew to teach me).

In 5th or maybe 6th grade, my grandma on my mom's side taught me a bit more embroidery. I think I got as far as buying one of those pre-stamped pillow cases, doing an hour or two of work on it and then getting bored with it.

I don't think I've touched it since then. But I had a sudden urge to learn. I bought supplies on my way home from work one day - needles, hoop, red floss and black floss (I won't mention the snap attacher thingy that jumped in my bag or the tatting thread). I went home and did this...

Pi embroidery

and with a flash...you can see the stitches better in this maybe...it is small, maybe an inch and a half square...
Pi embroidery - flashed

I have a ton of tannish colored cotton fabric (it was a skirt I made in high school that has been cut apart and used for sooo many things, it was floor length and super gathered, so it is a ton of fabric). I drew the Pi on freehand and backstitched.

Later I bought the Sublime Stitching book. I'm doing a modified version of the sampler in that now on the same cotton fabric. It is almost done and has been a lot of fun to work on.

I'm really glad that I was introduced to all of this as a kid. It makes it so easy to jump back into it now. I still enjoy the same parts that I did then (I love having a needle and thread in my hand) and I've changed enough to enjoy the parts that I didn't enjoy then (that it takes forever is one). I'll have to find out if anyone still has any of those little pillows...I'm sure that my granny kept hers somewhere, it is entirely possible it is still on the guest room bed where it was everytime we visited when I was young.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you revisited a hobby of your youth that you weren't old enough to truly enjoy. I did that with needlepoint. When I was a kid, it frustrated me like all get out, and then when it was an adult, I loved it. Too bad I've never had anything I stitched made up into anything. I keep telling myself it's too expensive, or I don't have room for the results. Maybe if/when I ever move out of this small hovel.