Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reading Update

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Very interesting and very good. Gave me lots to think about and echoes some of my own thoughts on the human population. It's got science, p*rn, adventure and love, what more could you want? About a super-species of humans type thing (created by oryx and crake) that snowman looks after.


The Knife Man by Wendy Moore

The material was good and informative, but this book kept putting me to sleep. I realize I don't sleep a lot, but I rarely nap and very seldom does a book take me off to snoozeland. This one is about such an amazing man who led such a great life. The idea behind the set-up of the book is a good one, I like the chapter names and such. I was greatly underwhelmed by the writing or something. Oh, it is about a great anatomist/surgeon in the 1700s...John Hunter, the father of modern surgery.


Blindness by Jose Saramago

Nobody has a name in this book. I like that. It was really well written. The ending sucked. People start to go blind, the govt quarantines them, then everyone goes blind. Except one person. It is actually really good, even if I don't like the ending. I think it is being made into a movie right now.


Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass

It is a quick read...I read it in two sittings because it was so interesting.  Really just a murder-mystery type book, but I read so few of them.  Jellyfied women is found in a cave and the dude works at the body farm.  Very well written.


Snow Crash by Neal Stephonson

It's weird, but I like it. Totally sci-fi, which I don't usually get into, but this one is more computery which appeals to my math brain. It is a pretty quick read and is attention-grabbing enough that I'll pull it out even if I only have time to read a couple of pages. It's about a hacker that makes friends with a courier and they are trying to find out about snow crash.

1 comment:

arianna said...

You make me want to check out Blindness, it sounds good!

Snow Crash introduced me to Neal Stephenson, who - to make myself sound hugely geeky here, haha - is my favorite author. SC is definitely an excellent read. :)