Friday, September 21, 2007

From the Sky (Ceiling, whatever)

I actually went to my little knitting group last Wednesday. I haven't really sat and knit with them in a long time. I stop in and say hi every now and then, but this time I sat and I knit (6 or so rows of a baby dress and a start to a dishrag - no pics yet). I'm not sure that I'll be going back though (j/k)!

We were leaving and since I was going to be heading straight over to Batman's place I wanted to use the loo before I left. I'm doing my business when something hits me on the arm. It fell from the ceiling and bounced to the floor. I look down just in time to see it scurry around to the back of the toilet. Of course, I hurry and finish, wash my hands, and grab my camera. Doesn't everyone have their camera in the loo with them? It was in my purse, so it isn't that weird. I wanted to make sure that this thing was what I thought it must be.







Cockroach at the cafe

I'd never seen one "in the wild" before. I left it there, behind the toilet, and showed L the picture as I walked out. It got a nice little squeel with a bit of a hand flutter in response :)

So yep, I saw my first cockroach. He (she?) was a little one, maybe an inch long. Now I don't mind so much that the cafe doesn't have any vegan food. And while I know most of the restaurants probably have cockroaches, if I don't see them then I can maintain my denial. I do see mice and rats regularly outside though. They are sooo cute! And after hours at the bars the mice scurry around, darting in and out of the walls...adorable! Cockroaches, not so cute.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I had been thinking of going to the coffee shop to pick up a bagel for my hiking exercusion today, but now that isn't gonna happen. Time to change venues?

Anonymous said...

Oy gevalt, you'd be amazed at how many places have those resident creatures. We would run out of venues if we used that as a basis! I saw a massive rat last night on the way home from the gym, and I have to say, I didn't find it cute at all. More like sick-making. Yet logically I know they are entitled to live just like I am. I just think Noah got a few things wrong when he decided which animals to take on the ark with him.

wenders said...

I cannot support your thought that cockroaches and rats are cute. . . Mice, yes.