Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ballon Finger!

This is my left hand at 7pm last nite
normal left hand

This is my right hand at the same time
swollen right hand

OUCH!!!!

I got home from work yesterday and opened my window. I have to stand on the window sill to be able to open it from the top. As I was jumping down, my ring got caught on something on the window and forked up my finger! Luckily my first reaction was to take my ring off. My finger ballooned out instantly. I ran cold water on it and then put it between a lunch box ice pack and a bag of frozen bell peppers. Once I got over the initial hurtiness, I ran to the store a block away and got a bag of ice.

So instead of getting tons of studying done like I had planned, I sat for hours reading and icing my hand. Oh, and called to whine a bit to Batman and J. My dad told me to splint it, so finally at like 9pm I did (and then I organized my bedroom). Batman came over and told me not to splint it and to use it, so I'm typing with it now and it is working okay.

Today it is slightly less swollen. My middle joint is a nice shade of bruised all the way around and I have a nice red mark the shape of my ring (it is a zig-zag one).

This is the window looking all nice and safe. I took this picture on Sunday, sitting on a stool at my kitchen counter, when they were parading a saint around the neighborhood. They do this every weekend for like 2 months, a different saint each weekend and there are anywhere from 2-4 marching bands with them. Sounds great (not). This time there were only 2 bands, one in front and one behind.

saint out my window

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your finger looks awful. I hadn't expected the swelling to look so rectangular though, it seems to end almost right above the knuckle.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your finger. Doesn't it strike you that the North End band only knows about four songs? Having listened to them over the course of 17 years, I am ready to say that they need to add to their repertoire, or need to import some bands from out of town (which I know they do from time to time).