Tuesday, August 21, 2007

lots of hiking pictures

More details on my hike, actually lots of pictures and not really that many more details.

Where we camped Friday nite. Our tent and "backyard".
tent and "backyard"
Dinner Friday nite. Cous cous with chickpeas, Batman had a cup of split pea soup, and candles to keep the bugs out of the food.
dinner Fri nite

Saturday Batman and I went to find the Appalachian Trail. We found some parking near it in North Adams and got on our way.
This is the first part of it, yep a short stretch of road in the AT:
Backpacking -the view: the road part of the AT
Then we got to the trail part.
Backpacking - the view: AT sign
Backpacking - the view: sign

Hiking... this was a not-so-steep part. I couldn't get pictures of the steep part since I didn't want to slow down and didn't want to have my camera out to get broken. I had to use my hands a few times and some of those were times I didn't necessarily plan on using my hands.
Backpacking - the view: feet on the AT
Trees that look neat:
Backpacking - the view: trees
A view halfway up:
Backpacking - the view: Summit - Mt Greylock
The beacon-thingy on top of Mt. Greylock. If it does something I don't know what. I was way too tired and it was too windy to bother finding a sign with information.
Backpacking - the view: Mt Greylock beacon thingy
The view from the summit of Mt Greylock.
Backpacking - the view: Scenic View Spot
Stove for cooking dinner. I was soooo hungry that I ate all the dinner before I thought to take a picture of it. We had vegan sloppy joes with pitas. Yum. And tea cuz it was cold. The stove worked great once we got the hang of lighting it. It wasn't hard, but it took a couple of tries until we knew just how much gas to release before lighting it.
MSR Whisper Internationale
This is how I picture the "mountains" out here. Much of it was like this so I wasn't too far off. Batman did tell me that there are a few mountains in the east that have a tree line, so I guess I can leave the ""s of those when I talk about them.
Backpacking - the view: woods
Pretty trees:
Backpacking -the view: crossing trees
Stone steps. There weren't very many of these, actually this set and maybe one more shorter one. It is pretty and I liked it.
Backpacking - the view: stone steps
Playing with my macro for Batman, moss on a rock. Super exciting, I know!
Backpacking - the view: mossy rock up close

And I just found a "smudge" feature on my picture thingy. So here is a picture where you can see Batman's pack, can kinda see mine (I was wearing Batman's shirt and looke like I had been hiking aka gross), and us at the scenic view thingy half way up (I got another hiker to take our pic).
smudged pack
smudged my pack
smudged at scenic view

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

the smudge feature looks pretty cool.
The hiking photos look amazing. I am envious.